Monday, June 12, 2017

monday musings: week 23

monday musings_header

Welcome to Monday Musings! Each Monday I share a different "get to know you" style Q&A. I invite you to join in the comments below so I can get to know you as well.

Q: What would you like to be when you "grow up."

gift shop inspiration: one  |  two  |  three  |  four

A: While I love my job doing marketing/graphic design for a university, one day I want to own my own gift shop. Maybe as a second career after the kiddos are grown, though you never know where life will take you. :)

My first taste of working at a gift shop was in high school when I first worked as a gift wrapper during the holiday season then later on the sales floor at a high-end gift shop at the mall. But I didn't really fall in love with the idea until college when I worked at a place at the top of a mountain kinda in the middle of nowhere in Tennessee. The owner was fabulous - she let me create my own displays, run the place by myself, help with buying decisions and even go to market.

Her location was perfect - she was the only game in town - unless you drove down the mountain - but better yet she had great products - gorgeous jewelry, funky purses, candles and knickknacks - she even printed custom invitations (before the popularity of etsy and pinterest). Her stuff was cute, not stuffy, affordable and people just genuinely seemed to love shopping there and I equally loved working there.

So, for 10+ years now, that idea has percolated and grown in my mind as what I want to do someday...maybe years from now, but maybe I'll get a wild hair and do it sooner rather than later, it sure would be fun!

2 comments:

  1. What fun! I could see you doing this :) I might dream of running a bookstore in my idealistic dreams, but I know that in reality it's not all just reading and talking about books. Business isn't exactly my thing, ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'd definitely want to learn more about operating a business before I actually took the leap and started one. I know lots about marketing and promotion, but not so much bookkeeping or the financial side of things.

      A bookstore sounds lovely as well. The closest one to me is almost 40 minutes away, which is just sad. Thank goodness for digital downloading. :)

      Delete